FORMER YWCA / KIMPTON HOTEL
LOCATION: 78 N. Marengo Ave.
ARCHITECT: Architectural Resources Group
This project proposes a new boutique hotel and the long-overdue rehabilitation of the former YWCA, located across Garfield Avenue from City HallVisit our FAQ page for answers to common questions. After more than five years of studying, researching, commenting, and making recommendations on this project, Pasadena Heritage supports a design that would accomplish these essential preservation objectives:
-The project’s proposed must be compatible with the original design; the proposed hotel use appears to do this well.
- A project worthy of the Civic Center that respects the Bennett Plan, as it is the original planning document for the creation of the Civic Center, recognized as one of the few and one of the finest Beaux Arts Civic Center plans in the West as well as one of the best preserved.
- A project that follows the 1925 Bennett Plan drawing which is the most detailed record of the Plan and identifies the land to the east of the YWCA as a future building site.
- Better definition of an attractive and comfortable open/green space along the Garfield frontage and Holly Street to strengthen urban relationships between buildings.
- A new, infill building architecturally compatible with the Julia Morgan building and complimenting City Hall in scale and massing. It must of the highest quality in both design and materials.
ALEXANDRIA REAL ESTATE HEADQUARTERS
LOCATION: 380 E. Union St.
Late March the Design Commission approved a hyper contemporary design concept with conditions that instruct architect to reconsider the proposed terra cotta screen treatment and mechanical room location on the north elevation facing City Hall and the Maryland Apartments. Pasadena Heritage supports the project but strongly urged the Commission and applicants to respect the gravitas and formality of this Civic Center location through a more contextually sensitive response.
FORMER TWIN PALMS IN OLD PASADENA
LOCATION: 85 W. Green Street
ARCHITECT: Gonzalez Goodale Architects
The Design Commission approved in late March concept designs for a new 3-story courtyard building that would replace the existing Twin Palms establishment at Green Street and DeLacey. Proposed are restaurant and banquet facilities on first two stories and a data center on top floor. Contextually out-of-place “contemporary stripped Renaissance” style with hipped roof tower elements has more in common with unmemorable suburban stripmalls than the remaining historic character of this segment of Green Street. A more contextually responsive design could have rooted this new building squarely in the Old Pasadena, capitalizing on while also contributing to its distinctive and memorable location in our historic core. The applicant is also requesting relief from the City’s protected tree replacement laws for the two protected palm trees he illegally removed last winter, claiming palms are not suited to his courtyard restaurant design.
GARFIELD PROMENADE IN PASEO COLORADO
LOCATION: 290 E. Colorado Blvd.
ARCHITECT: Gonzalez Goodale Architects
New Paseo Colorado owners and their architect team Gonzales Goodale have proposed a series of alterations to enhance the Paseo Colorado outdoor mall, including introduction of trees and planters among other amenities along the Garfield Promenade. This portion of the Paseo is within the Civic Center National Register Historic District and encompasses the north-south axis that links the Civic Auditorium to the Central Library as established by the 1925 Bennett Plan. The formal axis visually and physically links an ensemble of civic buildings that are designated historic monuments, our city’s highest level of preservation protection. The Plaza Pasadena mall (1976) failed and reopened in the late 1990s as the Paseo Colorado. A City Center Task Force – led by the Mayor and aided by Pasadena Heritage and the public – fought for and achieved the re-instatement of the north-south view corridor and the Garfield Promenade as we know it today was born of this effort. At this time, the City entered into a Reciprocal Easement Agreement with Paseo owners, which established specific dimensions and covenants to protect visibility across the Promenade for a 99-year period. This legal agreement reflects a promise on behalf of the City to protect and preserve the Bennett Plan and its north-south axis including visual continuity between the Central Library and Civic Auditorium. Pasadena Heritage strongly supports investments in improving this area and has met with the current design team several times to discuss their plans for the Promenade. However, Pasadena Heritage strongly advocates for improvements that do not obstruct the view to and from the Auditorium. The question of whether or not the City’s easement on the Promenade should be modified to allow trees to encroach into the viewshed will be heard by the City Council. Meanwhile, Pasadena Heritage continues to work with the design team on studying alternatives in order to achieve a holistic Promenade design that preserves the viewshed while incorporating inviting pedestrian amenities and outdoor dining.
LOCATION: 100 W. Walnut St.
OWNER/ARCHITECT: Lincoln Properties / SOM Architects (office); HED Architects (residential mixed-use)
Pasadena Heritage has worked hard to advocate for the best design possible for this enormous mixed-used project proposed on the present-day parking lots surrounding the Parsons tower complex, immediately north and west of the Old Pasadena National Register Historic District. Phase 1 of this project has been approved by the City and construction is expected to start early 2018.
HUNTINGTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
LOCATION: California Blvd. at Pasadena Ave.
ARCHITECT: Freeman White (San Diego)
The hospital is updating its Master Plan with proposed changes over the next 20 years. Two 1930s buildings in the center of the hospital’s west Pasadena campus will be demolished for a large garden area after a new seismically-superior 90ft annex tower is constructed at the northwest, along Pasadena Avenue. This side of the hospital campus is immediately adjacent to the Markham Place National Register Historic District, one of Pasadena’s oldest residential neighborhoods. Pasadena Heritage is concerned about the impact the height, siting, and massing the proposed tower will have upon the modest turn-of-the-century character of the neighborhood.
LOCATION: 839 E. Washington Blvd.
ARCHITECT: Puchlik Design Assc.
The Washington Theater was originally constructed in 1924 in the Spanish Colonial Revival style but remodeled in 1937 in the Streamline Moderne style. Today, the seismic retrofit of the west wall of the theater box, some interior work, and exterior masonry repairs are ongoing while facade rehabilitation is planned for the coming months. The owners have asked the City permission to restore the 1924 marquee instead of the 1937 marquee, stating that the latter somehow incurs frequent damage from delivery trucks servicing the shopping center across the street. At last year’s Commission review of the project, it wasn’t clear if but has now been confirmed that the original 1924 marquee remains beneath the 1937 one. Significant delays in work have lead to City intervention to prevent public safety hazards and nuisance issues.
LA LOMA BRIDGE
With pre-cast brackets in place and the road deck recently poured on the 1914 La Loma Bridge, work to reconnect utilities and install sidewalks and railings is underway. New approaches on either side have been constructed. Estimated re-open date is now June for traffic and pedestrians, while final surface repairs to the historic concrete members below are completed, the scaffolding is taken down, and the Arroyo trails are restored.
LAS ENCINAS MENTAL HEALTH HOSPITAL AND ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES
LOCATION: 2900 E. Del Mar Blvd
Two additional historic buildings on the Las Encinas hospital campus are to be relocated to make way for a large new senior housing development. The Lodge is an old Craftsman bungalow with shingle siding and wood windows. The second building, Las Palmas, is a Mediterranean style 1920s building with a Batchelder tile fireplace and original windows. The Las Encinas / Southern California Sanitarium campus was designated a National Register Historic District in 2012 at Pasadena Heritage’s recommendation due to the outstanding concentration of late 19th and early 20th century buildings found there. In 2009, the approved Master Development Plan for the hospital included new assisted living and psychiatric hospital buildings. Conditions of the master plan approval require specific historic buildings on the campus to be relocated within the boundaries of the Historic District to accommodate the new construction.
UNION STREET CONDOS
LOCATION: 254 E. Union St.
Following approval of a 36-unit condo project west of the Main Post Office and immediately south of the former Julia Morgan-designed YWCA and City Hall, the property was sold. New plans will be presented to the Design Commission in April 2017.
1906 PINNEY HOUSE
LOCATION: 180 S. Euclid Ave.
OWNER/ARCHITECT: Balian Investments LLC / Onyx Architects
Now destined to be relocated to North Fair Oaks Avenue, originally new owners attempted to have property's historic status removed in order to be allowed to demolish the rare Mission Craftsman home. Pasadena Heritage has taken the position, conveyed to the City Council, that the building retains its historic character and its landmark eligibility, and that the subtle alterations over time have not compromised the building’s historic integrity. We also find the building to be an important contributor to the streetscape along this block between Green and Cordova Streets, where an eclectic mix of older buildings comprises a unique and pleasing setting. Estimated timeframe for the building's relocation is unknown.
GREEN HOTEL APARTMENTS
LOCATION: 86 S. Fair Oaks Avenue
ARCHITECT: Architectural Resources Group
Revised designs anticipated soon for a new 5-story multi-family residential building similar to the proposed-but-never-constructed west wing of Hotel Green on southwest corner of Castle Green historic site. Architectural compatibility remains critical issue, along with traffic safety and parking needs.
FORMER LOUD FORD SHOWROOM
LOCATION: Hill Street at Colorado Blvd.
ARCHITECT: Moule & Polyzoides Architects & Urbanists
As part of a new Planned Development District, J&K Plus Investments LLC plans to build a 375-room hotel at 1355 E. Colorado and another, smaller 150-room hotel facility across the street at 1336 E. Colorado. Commercial use is proposed on the ground floor of both sites. The site includes the former Loud Ford dealership, designed by Sylvanus Marston and constructed in 1946. We are monitoring the project as it proceeds through the approval process and how the new structures impact the immediately adjacent and neighboring historic buildings. The proposed Planned Development project will identify new, site-specific development standards, such as building height, form, setback, and massing based on proximity to street frontages and historic buildings.